Healthy eating doesn’t have to be grueling or restricting. With a little creativity, there are genuinely fun things you can do to win the day with your eating habits.
Win the Day with Healthy Eating Habits
Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. When it comes to water—drink up: Start the day with water and hydrate yourself liberally throughout the day. This healthy habit will help hydrate your cells, keep your skin looking great, and help you avoid the negative effects of sugar-filled sodas and juices. Plus, drinking water prior to eating a meal can help curb your appetite. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and dim your focus. So, drink up lots of water and win!
a. Brighten up your water by infusing it with fruit such as lemons or limes or refreshing vegetables like cucumber slices.
b. Add some fresh mint leaves from your herb garden, and you’re off to a great start to your day.
2. When it comes to breakfast—eat up: Begin each day with a metabolism jump start by eating a healthy breakfast. Get better results all day long by revving up your metabolism with a good quality breakfast. You’re worth it! So take some time for yourself, reflect on the awesome day ahead, grab an inspiring read and enjoy your breakfast. You’re sure to win as a result.
a. Ditch the doughnuts and embrace a good quality protein and a healthy fat for breakfast.
b. Skip the temptation to grab a coffee and go. Take time to enjoy a healthy breakfast such as a protein smoothie with chia seeds, almond milk, berries, and your favorite protein powder.
3. When it comes to lifestyle changes—be good to yourself: Take a gentle approach when it comes to changing your eating habits. Start with small changes. Rome was certainly not built in a day, and setting goals too high can sometimes set people up for only short-term success. For long-term lifestyle changes that stick, be gentle with yourself, and make incremental changes that last.
a. Exchange soda for infused water
b. Trade candy for low-sugar fruit
c. Swap chips for a few healthy nuts
4. When it comes to food choices—focus on real foods: A simple way to get started with healthy eating habits is to focus on eating real food—the kind that either grows on or inhabits the earth. Ditch processed foods and make the greatest percentage of your food choices whole foods such as salmon, chicken, spinach, zucchini, blueberries, and coconut oil—you get the idea. You’ll be amazed at how focused and alert you become when you fuel your body with whole foods.
a. High-quality meat such as free-range chickens with no antibiotics or added hormones added is a great choice.
b. Free-range beef is high in iron and delicious.
c. Raw sunflower seeds are a satisfying snack.
d. Spinach with a splash of olive oil and apple cider vinegar is delicious.
5. When it comes to winning at eating—organize and prioritize: To really succeed, a bit of organization is in order. Make a list of meals and snacks you plan to eat for one week. Include as many whole foods as possible, and omit processed foods and fast food.
Grocery shop when you aren’t hungry, and use your will power in the grocery store to pick the raspberries instead of the ice cream.
Clean out your refrigerator and ditch all the sauces and ice cream toppings to decrease the temptation.
Go through your pantry and give away or ditch the processed foods that your body will no longer need or crave once you begin your clean eating habits.
6. When it comes to ensuring success—remove obstacles: Pave the path to success by anticipating obstacles and removing them before you get started on your new healthy habits.
a. If you are short on time, learn to organize your food for the week. Set aside time to meal plan, grocery shop, and prepare meals. Plan well and do the bulk of your cooking for the week in one day to streamline your responsibilities throughout your busy week.
b. If you succeed best with a buddy, invite your spouse, your child, or your best friend to join you in your new healthy habits. When it comes to eating, it’s a social event, so include your family so you can grow healthier and enjoy the adventure together.
c. If you need support, join an online community to share the victories and struggles throughout the journey. Celebrate your successes with others and share your ideas to cheer them on. Motivation and inspiration from others can propel you to victory on your healthy eating journey. And it’s fun to be an inspiration to others in the process!
7. When it comes to self-care—own the responsibility: If you tend to help others a lot and avoid taking care of your own needs in the process, first of all own the fact that it’s time for change. Realize your love of helping others is stellar, but if you aren’t around to help some day because you neglected your own health in the process, then what’s the point?
a. Give yourself permission to take care of yourself well.
b. Do the self-care necessary daily to regain your health and vitality.
c. Invest in your health. No one can take care of you for you, so ditch the guilt and embrace the responsibility to take proper care of yourself, beginning with clean eating.
Schedule a free training session
At Elite Training San Diego we make working out, weight loss, and good nutrition choices fun. Get personal training for personal transformation, and enjoy the life you’ve dreamed of. Schedule a free training session and get started on your fitness goals.